For many years now, I have been setting out my yearly goals on my blog. I am not entirely sure why, I think it helps me keep track of them, and it also helps keep me accountable! They’re not “resolutions” per say, but a handful of things I decide in January that I need to do. Go figure.
This year I am posting my goals a little later in January that usual because I have news. MN 2 NZ is moving… to OZ!
Yes, right before Christmas I had word that I have a job offer in Geelong, Australia. I’m going to take on another postdoctoral fellowship contract for 3 years. This changes things (life?!) in a pretty big way. D and I had been planning on moving overseas early in 2016 for some time (pretty much the last 2 years), as both of us are on contracts which were up at the end of January 2016 (D’s contract then got extended from Mar-mid April). But still, it’s one thing to plan for something in the future, and another thing to realize the future is now and happening.
I have been to Geelong, it’s a large oceanfront town about 1 hour southwest of Melbourne, Australia. I’ve spent a lot more time in Melbourne as D and I have a lot of friends there and have been to visit quite often. Melbourne is a very vibrant, cosmopolitan city, full of culture, good food, and fashion. It’s very different from Dunedin. Of course, we won’t be living in Melbourne, but 1 hour by train is pretty darn close.
So this really means big changes for the upcoming year. There isn’t a lot of tramping in Australia, for one. To be honest, I’m not really sure what 2016 holds in store – moving to Australia is going to be a pretty major lifestyle change for us (and we probably won’t really be settled in until May at the absolute earliest, as that is when D plans on coming over after he finishes up his contract here in NZ). We’re supposed to be starting off February with an entire 4 weeks of tramping (our honeymoon/grand travel plans that we’ve been making for the better part of a year). We’ll see how that goes… We love tramping, but D and I have learned that 6 days in a row is about our limit. Then, we shall say goodbye to New Zealand and start the next adventure! [I’m now going to have to start calling myself an Australasian Fashion Blogger, I think!].
So here is the best list of goals that I can come up with at this point (having, right now, almost no idea what the next year holds for me apart from ch-ch-ch-changes!):
- Sew more (start using up my fabric stash!). Sew at least 1 swimsuit from scratch. Do at least one “how to sew something” blog post.
- Cook more vegetarian meals (institute meatless Monday!).
- Read more journal articles – start with 1 a week.
- Have at least $5k in savings by the end of the year.
- Read at least 3 non-fiction books.
- Be able to do 5 pull-ups.
- Get my tattoo removed (Melbourne, here I come!).
- Start cycling to work?! Do more (any!) cycling… I think.
- Do at least 1 touristy trip in Australia.
- Move towards a minimalist lifestyle.
Other, less specific goals:
- Blog more – focus more on fashion. Maybe even Melbourne street fashion?
- Buy less make-up. Get better at using the make-up I have.
- Skype my MN friends and family more often.
Do you have any big plans for 2016?