So yes, there has been a very serious lack of sewn dresses on the blog this year. It’s been a busy few months. Anyways, I finally got around to finishing this dress which I started back in February. I picked up the fabric for about $6/m from spotlight on super clearance. Geometric bright verging on obnoxious print? Yes, please!
Even though it is a very summery looking dress, I was determined to wear it in the middle of our winter regardless. I decided Navy would be less awful than black, and in the end, I think it looks ok. I’m also wearing a slip underneath to add an extra layer of warmth! Luckily, it was sunny out so the bright colours aren’t too “out there”. 😀
I used New Look pattern 6223, which turned out pretty well although I did let out the waist a little bit and it’s probably a little roomy through the back shoulder. It’s also a bit longer than I thought it would be (just below knee length, instead of just at or above the knee), but that just gives it a more retro feel, I think. And of course, pockets! I love having pockets in dresses. So fantastic.
Admittedly, I didn’t do a perfect job of matching the print along the back, but the front isn’t too bad. My sewing skills are admittedly still a bit rusty (this is the number 1 problem with sewing, I know all the flaws in the garments). So the more sewing I do these days, the better!