Keeping in tradition with years past, I shall wrap things up with year with my 2013 summary! This is always a little scary as generally I make these year long goal lists in January… and then promptly forget about them. So now it’s time to reflect a little bit and see how I did in 2013!
First, let’s review 2013’s goals:
- FINISH MY PHD (by Sept at the absolute latest)!
- Get to stay in NZ until my PhD marks are back (FYI, my current visa expires in March).
- Upon completing said PhD – get a job!
- Do the entire Routeburn and at least one other great walk (not counting the Milford which we’ve already booked in for Easter). Also, the Sugarloaf/Rockeburn pass. Maybe the Copland for a second time? Do the winter Routeburn trip with tramping club.
- Attend at least 1 or 2 academic conferences.
- Visit my sister and her family in the UK.
- Save some $$$!
- Publish some papers.
Wow. Can I admit that I’m actually a little impressed with myself?
- Done – I submitted in July
- Done – I’m still here aren’t I?
- Done! 2 job offers was pretty decent
- Done!- Routeburn (Ok, so it wasn’t the “official” winter routeburn trip, but we did have snow so I’m counting it), Milford, Sugarloaf/Rockeburn all done! The Heaphy is booked in for boxing day, and the Copeland is booked in for Dec 31!
- Done! 2 conferences
- Nope, but that has already been lined up for 2014
- Another nope – I lived on next to nothing this year, but I’m proud of how I managed my meager funds (up until the last month or so when I possibly counted my chickens before they were hatched), so we’ll table that for 2014 also
- Nearly? I’ve submitted 2 and so far has been 1 accepted…
Ok, so admittedly 2013 wasn’t the absolute awesome complete super funtime that 2012 was, but hey, I finished a doctorate – that doesn’t happen every day.
So this wraps it up for 2013. Happy holidays and Seasons Greetings, dear readers. I shall see you again in 2014!